Monday, April 16, 2012

Just.Keep.Pushing



I started my weight loss journey in February. I've lost 15 pounds so far and I feel much better not to mention my pants are getting loose which is a MAJOR plus! Ty and I pulled the trigger after months of back and forth and got a membership to our local gym. It was hard for us because we both knew that it was going to be a major expense to our monthly bills but in the end we knew that we were both too stubborn and cheap to be spending all that money to not go so it would be a big push in getting our booties to the gym! 


I think it's been almost 2 years since I've worn a short sleeved shirt. You know, the regular length cute tops that everyone else wears when summer rolls around.  I make it my mission when shopping for summer clothes to find only the tops where the sleeve comes just above the elbow and then buy a bunch of different colors and don't even ask how long it's been since wearing a tank top! I'm so self conscious of my chunky arms. My mom always says to me "Be thankful that you even have arms" and she's right. I refuse to buy in to all the media hoopla that unless you are a size 8 or smaller than you are obese.  You are ugly. You are lazy. I want to lose weight because I believe that God created my body as a temple and not a garbage disposal and I need to exercise more self control. I don't want to be 'skinny' so I will feel more beautiful, I want to lose some of this access weight that my body just isn't supposed to be carrying around.  I want to feel healthy again and full of more energy. This is not a diet. I cringe when people say that word. I am not on a diet, I am just watching my calories and choosing to put nutrient-rich things in my body. I'm looking to make a lifestyle change. My boys deserve a mom that can chase them around the backyard without getting winded after 2 minutes.

I think especially in our culture food is a comfort thing and not a means to nourish our bodies.  Think about it. You get together with a friend and grab a coffee or go for dinner or drinks and appetizers. It's weird to invite others over and not have food & drinks all ready to serve. And I'm the first person to jump on that bandwagon! If I know someone is popping in, I will immediately go to the fridge or pantry and see what I can whip up. Our society revolves around food and don't get me started on what our society considers "food". ENTER--> Support local farmers rant: It's sickening what our culture accepts as nourishment when you can't pronounce most of the 'ingredients' on the packaging. I'm so excited that the farmers markets in our area are starting up again! I love that we can support local farmers and although the prices are *sometimes* more than we could pay at the supermarkets- it's hands down worth keeping it local and consuming FRESH foods! It's so much more than eating local cause it's trendy. If there were no farms- there would be no food! Many local growers don’t use the kinds of chemicals that big commercial farms use. What you’re eating is all natural, and when you purchase local organic, you don’t have to worry about the chemicals and pesticides that you’re putting into your body and into the bodies of family members – especially children who don’t need all those hormones & crap. -->END: Rant.


Anyway- I'll check in from time to time here and update you on my weight loss and really hoping I can look back at this post one day in the future and see that I've blown way past that 15lb. mark! 



No comments:

Post a Comment