The guys get together once a year at a friend's house and have a grill off and Ty won first place last year with his grilled pizza so I now affectionately refer to it as his award-winning pizza ;) He blushes like a little girl every time I say it.
Here's how we and by 'we' I mean Ty does it:
Homemade pizza dough or a pre-bought one
Standard toppings of choice i.e.. tomato sauce, cheese, herbs, pepperoni, etc.
- Let dough rest at room temperature until easily spreadable. Ours is usually more of a rustic pizza so it doesn't necessarily need to be in a perfect circle shape. (Ours is a rectangle-ish shape)
- Prepare the grill on a high heat.
- Spread your dough and brush a good drizzle of olive oil over the top of the dough and sprinkle desired amount of corn meal.
- Once the grill is hot, place the dough directly on the grates corn meal side up. Close the lid and let cook for approx. 2-3 minutes. Keep a close eye on the dough- it's a quick process and you don't want the bottom to burn! (The top of the pizza dough will start bubbling up with air pockets- this is normal)
- Use your spatula and flip the dough.
- Add your toppings, close the lid and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until melted.
- Slice & Serve! Enjoy!
Most of the time we do half cheese for the kiddos and the other half something a little more interesting for us. Our favorite types of pizza to make on the grill are; buffalo chicken (mozzarella cheese, chicken, buffalo sauce & blue cheese), salt pile inspired by this awesome place (lightly brushed with olive oil & is loaded with sauteed onions & garlic & topped with swiss, ricotta, romano, and mozzarella cheese)- this is my personal favorite! Tomato, fresh mozzarella, & basil finished with a balsamic drizzle. really- the possibilities are endless!
What are you waiting for?! Go fire up that grill!!